Thursday, February 13, 2014

Japanese vs. English (again)

A conversation from work:

Bilingual Japanese coworker: So this dialog says "I want to hear all about it." Can I change it to "I want to hear a lot about it?"

Me: I don't think so. It sounds weird.

Coworker: But it doesn't match the Japanese.

(I read that the Japanese side says "iroiro" which can mean "various" or "many" but not "all.")

Me: "A lot" and "all" have the same meaning in this sentence, though.

Coworker: Really, it's the same?

Me: Yes, pretty much.

Coworker: I'm just worried that customers will check their dictionaries and complain that "all" is not one of the meanings for "iroiro."

Me: That's true...But it's so American! We exaggerate.

Coworker: (Starts nodding and laughing.)

Me: We say "Tell me all about it" when we actually mean "Tell me about it for five minutes, until I get bored." Japanese people are more honest.

Coworker: Then we can make it one of the language points for this page.

Me: Good idea! It's perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment