Sunday, May 4, 2014

Haircut!

Today I got my hair cut at this super cool place. Yesterday I came to make the reservation, and I was pretty nervous because I didn't know if it was OK for someone to come in off the street. But they could have sent me away and they didn't; they just showed me the schedule and I picked a time slot. Now I suspect that the guy I talked to, who also did my hair, was used to talking to foreigners somehow or other. From the beginning his Japanese was very clear and he was good at simplifying if I didn't understand.

So I made the reservation in Japanese and today I talked to the staff in Japanese too. They were patient and let me show the photo of my last haircut and explain what I wanted. I said that my hair was cut in January but since that time it became thick and heavy, to it's too hot for summer. At least, that was as much as I could attempt...

In all, it was a stylish-looking place, and they shampooed my hair before cutting it. The guy did a pretty good job. Somehow, he shaved away at the middle of my hair to make it less poofy. My friend Yuka also got her hair straightened there before, and she was the one who recommended it to me. They did a really good job on her hair too, so I knew it had to be a good place. In fact, Yuka may be the reason they let me in so quickly, because I was carrying their business card. The only thing I was worried about was whether they would know how to cut foreign hair, but as it turned out the stylist was very confident and the results look great.

Today, I leveled up in my Japanese! Even though I still felt lost a few times, I was able to make a reservation on my own and explain stuff in Japanese.

This is a picture from later today of my haircut. Of course, Taeko had to ask me, "So when are you going to get your hair cut???" Um...

No comments:

Post a Comment