Friday, May 23, 2014

Japanese Class

So this Wednesday and Saturday I finally tried a Japanese class in the Peace Park. I saw the flyer a while ago and finally decided to actually show up. No good reason why it took me this long, though.

On Saturday there were only two levels, and I think I was in the easier one because the other group was definitely talking more than we were. On Wednesday as soon as I came in the door and filled out my information, the teacher did a level check of my Japanese by asking me a series of questions. I answered everything but the last one, so they directed me to the back where people were discussing modern and old-fashioned Japanese names. (As other people were looking at flash cards, this seemed to be one of the higher levels.)

Of the two days I prefer the Wednesday class because I got to talk more. On Saturday they threw a bunch of vocabulary at us. But both were interesting. I learned some new words about illnesses...haha

On Wednesday I made the mistake of answering the question, "What else do you want to do in Japan?" with "I want to buy a Yukata." Which was an invitation to a flood of comments about my personal appearance and speculated appearance in said unbought yukata.

Teacher: "Ohhhh you'll look good in one!"
Student: "Like a toy!"
Teacher: "Haha, you mean like a doll."
Student: "That's cuz Japanese people have broad faces and she has a thin face!"

So I guess it's a compliment, but I was surprised that people had such immediate strong opinions about who looks good in a yukata. Guess it's lucky I have a thin face???

No comments:

Post a Comment