Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Battle of the San

So I've read a lot about "micro-aggressions" and how there's no way to deal with them, but in reality I'm not actually sure what constitutes an actual aggression.

Instead of discussing this topic, I submit [fig 1] in the chronicles of an epic battle between me and my landlord. The following note was delivered last month.












https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=d6b867cb22&view=att&th=1419d2e7429ac73c&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P9HNZAxdJD6VQeVpNqsDal_&sadet=1381322174165&sads=UsTRW32rtUAibaFgITTuXYvnERI&sadssc=1

The notice contains a handwritten note reminding the other sharemates to relay translations to me. I can picture my landlord leaving these detailed cleaning instructions, suddenly getting a brainwave, "Oh yeah! That American chick probably can't read all of these. I'd better make sure someone gets her up to speed."

 However, although the note was in Japanese, it only says "Stephanie." Which my friends confirmed was a bit irregular.

The picture also contains my answer to this slight. I took the only mature approach and grabbed a pencil to squeeze in my own honorific. Complete with ironically grimacing emoticon as if to say, "Lol, I feexd it."

A few days later, my landlord returned with a new notice, and apparently saw the addition I had made to the old one. See [fig 2].

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=d6b867cb22&view=att&th=1419d2f44d82857b&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P9HNZAxdJD6VQeVpNqsDal_&sadet=1381322519091&sads=2YCKCmXAaSyyI6TaQTGnrGUzrnc

I can only conclude that his reply of "exactly" is his method of fully acknowledging my right to all proper honorifics when referred to by name.

This has been a hard-won strategic victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment