Friday, October 18, 2013

Japanese Help from an Unexpected Source

For the past few weeks I've been stuck doing some boring typing. Luckily, it's not our text but a competitor's language learning CD series. My job is to type up a script of the English section of the dialog. I guess so our company can analyze it and figure out a way to do it better.

It takes FOREVER because I keep having to pause the CD and type the sentences. And the whole thing is these painfully boring stock conversations read by voice actors who don't seem to give a crap. I swear the Japanese actors can't be as bad, but they probably are. At least the Japanese translations have "ne" and "yo" and "shimau" so you can get SOME sense of what the emotion is supposed to be.

Then after the first week something strange happened. Souichirou started asking me, "Why are you using so much Japanese so suddenly?" And I was like, "I am?" And this week it hit me. I was talking in Japanese, and midway through my remark I realized I was imitating the style of those language CDs from work. Just tweaking the phrases to match my situation--Hopefully with more emotion than the robotic voice actors.

Osmosis is real!!!!!!!!!!OMG!!!!!!!

Even though I wasn't required to do anything with the Japanese explanations, I was just enough interested for it to make an impression. Of course, most people probably don't listen to their CDs four or five hours a day, Monday through Friday. So I can't really say if the series works in a usual situation.

So now I'm getting paid to study Japanese!!! It's a win-win!

No comments:

Post a Comment