Sunday, June 2, 2013

What They Say, What They Mean: Japan edition

There are some linguistic differences between Japanese and English that appear even if you're speaking in the same language.Therefore, here is a chart which may or may not accurately reflect differing degrees of certainty between the two languages.


"Maybe..."

America: "Possibly..."

Japan: "Probably..."

 "I think..."

America: "I have a random thought."

Japan: "I am reasonably certain that..."

"It's better if..."

America: "Here's a suggestion."

Japan: "You are about to hear my final opinion on the matter. Take it or leave it."

In short, you can generally* feel safer about a Japanese person's guess than an American's absolute fact. As Captain Kirk once said.


*By which of course I mean in almost every case.

No comments:

Post a Comment