Wednesday, June 25, 2014

You know you're adjusting when...

Lately I've overcome another hurdle for living in a foreign country. Though even as recently as the beginning of this year it didn't seem possible, lately I've been doing stuff for myself without feeling like I have to ask other people for help first.

Case in point: On Saturday I had to go to two clinics to get an infecting piercing treated. When my ear started to swell up in earnest on Friday, I my first thought was, "Darn it! Now I'm gonna have to skip Japanese class and spend my Saturday morning waiting around at clinics. What a drag."

Only later did I realize that only five or six months ago I would have totally panicked and called several friends before making a decision. It didn't even bother me that I had no one to help me with Japanese. I just figured once the doctors looked at the ear it would be obvious what was wrong.

Actually, there's been a lot of stuff like that lately. It started back in March when I went to the hair salon Yuka recommended and made a reservation. Then there were things like going to Tokyo and Osaka. Now it seems I know enough clinics that I can have a resource when I get sick.

Lately I've been feeling pretty lonely. But they do say, "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger." (Or stranger?) The American dude in my Japanese class tonight was complaining that he didn't get any of the grammar so he'd have to ask his wife to explain later. I replied wistfully, 私は誰もいないなあ。。。自分で頑張ります!(Which I did have to translate, but was fun to say. haha)

Also, though last week he got one more point than me on a pronunciation test, today I kicked this smart-aleck American's butt in the grammar quiz. The only one to get every question right.

No comments:

Post a Comment