Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Better at Japanese? Worse?

On Sunday I bought a new cover for my iPhone. (Which I had to replace on Tuesday because I suck at putting those on right the first time. But anyway...)

This nice guy at Yamada Denki was helping me, and he was pretty persistent about showing me all the different options for covers. But of course it was difficult to explain what I wanted in Japanese. At one point he started using Google translate on the phone, and it was hilarious because the sentence he was translating was so simple. I looked over and started reading the Japanese off his phone.

Somehow, that surprised him. Not the fact I had been speaking Japanese to him earlier, but that I could read it off his phone. After that he was all, "How long have you been in Japan? Your Japanese is good!" And even asking if I could read the kanji for the cash register.

Then later I was at H&M and helped a lady who was trying on clothes. I didn't really do much, and she was actually pretty aggressive in speaking English to the staff, but at least I could tell her that the staff had finally understood what she wanted. One of the staff came up to me later and said, "Thank you for earlier." And I was like, no, no...

But I think I also said something weird later when I was buying my clothes. The clerk scanned the dress I bought but didn't notice the accessory in the bag. So I asked something like, "Is the accessory not entering the bag???" As if my headband had walked in there of its own free will and I had nothing to do with it. Bleh.

No comments:

Post a Comment