Friday, March 29, 2013

You know you've been in Japan too long when...

You have inexplicably negative reactions to weirdness from other foreigners.

Case in point. This Wednesday it rained during the day and stopped at night. One coworker took off his waterproof jacket, and as he had no way to carry it on his bike, he folded it into the front of the jacket he was wearing. So it looked a bit goofy. Another coworker commented, "You know it's hard enough being a foreigner in Japan without people doing goofy things like that."

And the weird part is I knew exactly how he felt when he said this! Gradually I've gotten to dread being associated with the people who stand out and do things in an off-kilter way.

Why do I care if someone wears goofy clothes? Sometimes I just want a sign that says, "I am not affiliated with this character."

No comments:

Post a Comment