Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Medicine

I think one difficult thing about being in a different country is different views on medicine. Last nigh for example I started running a fever and this led to something of a discussion about the best way to treat a fever. In America people usually just want to zap it with some fever-lowering medication. But in Japan the feeling is if the fever's lose enough you shouldn't screw up your body's natural germ-zapping reaction, and you should just ride it out. Eventually I did take half of a bufferin tablet, but for a headache, not for the fever. And I had to make a case for it before my friends could approve the measure.

So overall I have " bad news" for couples and friends out there who bridge any kind of cultural gap. When you're feeling lousy is probably the last time you want to discuss different opinions, but it's probably one of the most likely times when people are going to have different approaches to a problem.

Walks off muttering "Just because you're a pharmacy student doesn't mean you can get ideas about the effectiveness of medicine..."

No comments:

Post a Comment