Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Old poem

Friends have complained I don't post anything I write online. So here is a short poem that I don't think I'll ever submit because poems aren't really my thing. This poem I like, however, because when I was writing it I only focused on what sounded good and didn't try to force any particular meaning. So of course it sounds like it's saying something.



Casting the Spell

I built my tower one brick at a time
With walls too high for a prince to climb.
I built my tower brick by brick
The walls exactly a heartbeat thick.

I planted round a maze of thorns
be sure no rose was ever born.
I slowly glued each stone to stone
a princess waits, and waits alone.
Never, never to be free
Locked the door, lost the key.

A tower safe from every fear
Yet day by day and year by year
The walls will crumble stone to sand
The tower sink into the land
While in the dungeon wakens slow
A dreaming dragon down below.

So what brave prince will have the art
To crack my ribs and free my heart?

1 comment: