Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Story of the Scar

So I returned from camping recently with some good memories and a conspicuous scar on my right foot.
The night of

Day after
I think the burn is healing pretty well now, but it was one of the more memorable moments. We were all sitting around the grill cooking beef, chicken, etc, and my coworker Kenta had just added some more oil and was stirring it around. Suddenly it splattered, and I felt something warm and gooey on my foot.

My first thought was "Ohhhhhhh shit this is going to hurt!" Then I just stood there in stunned shock trying to figure out where the nearest water was. Kenta was in pretty deep shock too but at least he managed to point me to the sink in the ground about fifteen feet away. So I turned on the tap and put my foot underneath. Kenta suggested ice, so for the rest of the evening I was icing my foot.

It didn't hurt for the first twenty minutes, then it got really annoying for an hour or so. I took ibuprofen for the pain, and by bedtime it was only sensitive to hot water and pressure. The next day the burns got a little darker, but so far they've been healing ok.

The most serious damage seems to be Kenta's guilt complex. He has already offered to pay my hospital bills if I end up going. I think what bothered him most was causing someone else a problem and not being able to fix it. But looking at the rate the burns are healing I probably won't be able to tease him with the scar for too long...

1 comment: